Sunday, July 6, 2008

Should I Choose The Name Of My Book (Or Product) For My Domain Name?

Although I'm thinking about a site for one of my books, the process and considerations are similar to building a site for a product other than a book. I think that what I say in this post about books would also relate well to any product.

If I pick the book name or some derivative of it as the domain name, I'll need a separate name for each book. If I select a broader name, such as my own name or a topic name, then I might be able to get by with only one. If cost is a primary consideration, then one domain name is the way to go.

On the other hand, domain registration is available for $10 - $12 a year. An extra $12 per year doesn't seem too much for each book. Rather than being a question of cost, isn't name selection more likely to be a function of the purpose of having a site in the first place?

My purpose in building a site for a book is to market the book or to market me as an author. Either way, cost should not control selection of the name or how many names, but rather how many names are needed to accomplish my primary purpose.


As I've been writing this post, I've realized that I seem unable to decide whether I want a domain for the book specifically or for me as an author. If I'm realistic I need both. Each domain should complement the other. Some visitors to my site might come because they are familiar with me as an author. Others may discover me as an author by my marketing of the book.

So I need a domain for my book and I need a domain for myself as the author. If you think of my book as the product and myself as the manufacturer or distributor, then I need a domain for the product and one for the manufacturer or distributor.

No comments: